Do I have to sign this?

Share This

You may be faced at some time or another with the dilemma of receiving a document or written reprimand that you do not agree with. In the event that it happens to you, you should usually go ahead and sign it. Failure to do so may result in another reprmand or memo for being insubordinate. If you do not agree with a document here are some things you can do:

  • Sign it and write next to your name " My signature indicates that I have recieved a copy but does not indicate that I agree with the content"
  • After receiving any document, you have 5 to 10 days to write a response (your defense) and attach it to the original document.  At the bottom of your response you should include: "NOTE: Please attach this response to the original document and any copies where filed". See "How to write a response" for details on how to craft a response. It is always best to consult with your union when submitting a response.
  • You also have the right to file a grievance but you should always contact your union before proceeding with a grievance.
  • If you are EVER unsure about signing a document, call us! 281-847-3050
  • NEVER sign a prepared confession or resignation letter without first consulting your union!!